Friday, July 24, 2015

Love One Another...

Five United States servicemen were murdered at a naval center on American soil. A man went on a shooting spree in a movie theater and killed innocent people before taking his own life. A woman was taken to jail after a simple traffic stop and is now rumored to have hanged herself, while others say she appears to be dead in her mugshot.
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm feeling a little anxious. Uneasy. Scared.  This is America. Sure, there have always been murders and disappearances and threats of war and racial conflicts. There are always going to be people who do things that the rest of us just don't understand. But what the hell is going on? What is happening in this world, this country that we live in? And is it just me, or does it seem like nothing is being done about these acts of murder and terrorism and violence?
I thank God every day that I wasn't born in a place stricken with constant war and disease and famine. A place where you have to be afraid to leave your home for fear that you might be blown up by a bomb.
But now I'm really worried.
Our servicemen are being murdered on our very own soil, outside of war zones. People are being killed by the masses at movie theaters and churches. Our law enforcement officials are being questioned on a regular basis because fingers are being pointed at them for breaking the law themselves.
And everyone is being lumped together in groups who are all turning on one another.
So who can we trust? And where are we safe? Can we actually allow our children to leave our side? To go to school? To go to the movies even when we're right there with them?
We can't live in fear, or "they" win, whoever "they" may be; mass murderers, terrorists, whomever. But what do you do?
Today, I picked my children up after I left work and I hugged and kissed them, and told them I love them so much. My husband, my mother, my closest friend. I simply said, "I love you."
Because I think all we can do is love one another and spend time with the people we care about. Hug them a little tighter. Hold them a little longer. Because this world is a scary and uncertain place. Let's just hope and pray that our children are able to see it differently. Let's be the change they need for a better and brighter future.

No comments: