Thursday, July 23, 2015

Work is a Rubber Ball...

I need to write. I miss it. I love it. I just have so much to do that I rarely take time for myself... to do what I really love. To write. To read a book. To do absolutely nothing more than watch my children play. Yes, children.
Since my last post more than a year ago, I had a second little boy, Noah, and I am expecting our third child--a girl!--November 2nd. So between a full time job, a crazy five year old, a needy nine month old, prenatal appointments and just life in general, sometimes (okay, most of the time), it's hard to find time for me. So here I am, squeezing in a super quick lunch break (I have 10 minutes left!) to take some time to do something that I love.
And I have to thank my friend, Joelene, simply for mentioning that her daughter needs to write because she does it so well and she always leaves Joelene wanting to read more. And I thought, my mom used to always tell me that. That I needed to write because I'm good at it. "You can make people cry," she'd say. But I have always been one of those people who can inspire and encourage and motivate every one else except for myself. I just seem to lack confidence. And, while I try to be positive and optimistic, I also try to be realistic.
I would love to spend all of my time on my family and my writing and the things I love with all my heart. But writing this blog isn't going to pay my bills. So, I end up putting my job first and, a lot of times, my family and my joys second. Because we have to be adults and manage our responsibilities. But I always think of a book I read a few years ago by James Patterson, Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas. One part in particular stood out.
Imagine life is a game in which you are juggling five balls. The balls are called work, family, health, friends, and integrity. And you're keeping all of them in the air. But one day you finally come to understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back. The other four balls...are made of glass. If you drop one of these, it will be irrevocably scuffed, nicked, perhaps even shattered.
So, while work is important, is it more important than everything else? On that note... I must get back to work...

No comments: