Monday, July 27, 2015

Just. Keep. Writing.

I want to write, but I'm having a little bit of writer's block. I have ideas, but I start and then I get stuck after a paragraph or two. So I'm just going to write like I did in my creative writing course, as I believe I have done here in the past. I give myself a time limit (we'll go with five minutes this time) and I just keep writing without stopping. Even if I can't think of anything to write about. The goal is to just keep writing and not worrying about the content or the spelling or the grammar. Which is hard for me because I want to go back and fix every mistake as soon as I make it (like right now... I just hit the "$" key three times after "it" and had to delete it every single time before I could move on).
I find this method of writing great for a couple of reasons. First, it simply gets me writing. It may not be that interesting,  but it gets me going, and I usually do end up in an interesting place. And that's the second reason.
It opens up my mind and causes me to end up in a place I hadn't necessarily thought about because I'm just not over thinking things. And, I never know where I'm going to stop, I just stop when the time has passed. And it has.
But to finish up, if you're having writers block or if you simply want to start journaling, I highly recommend this method. Set a timer, grab a pencil and a notebook (much better than typing in this case) and just write without stopping until the timer runs out. Don't lift your pencil and whatever you do, don't use your eraser. Just. Keep. Writing. It's good for you!
PS: sorry if there are mistakes!! I'm sure my mom will have no problem pointing them out...

No comments: