Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Reminders of the Ones We Love

I walked into my bedroom tonight and stopped in my tracks. For just a second, it smelled exactly the way my grandmother's sheets had always smelled. I can't describe it any other way. I took a second sniff of the air, but the scent had gone. I smiled and continued on, as I am sure this was my grandmother's way of telling me that she's with me.
Whenever I'm going through a rough time, my grandmother always makes her presence known. A few years ago I was struggling with some very stressful things, so I went to my grandmother's grave and talked to her. I asked that she would send me a sign to let me know that everything would be okay. Because I always question everything, I was more specific. "Send me a yellow butterfly."
I waited a little while and looked around, but saw nothing. I didn't want to lose hope, but it was hard to have faith when I felt like I was hitting rock bottom. I got in my car and drove away.
Shortly before I arrived home, a yellow butterfly landed on my windshield, rested for a few seconds, then flew away. Just when I was least expecting it. And so I have seen many yellow butterflies since, but it often happens when I'm worried about something and I feel a little lost. Seeing that yellow butterfly, a sure sign for me of my grandmother's presence, reminds me that everything is going to be okay. It also reminds me that no matter how much I miss her, she's always here with me.
Have your loved ones who have passed sent you signs that they're with you?

No comments: