Sunday, September 18, 2011

Surprise: Family and Friends are More Important than Money

Autumn may not have its official start until September 23, but Eastern Pennsylvania had a gorgeous start to the fall season this weekend. Crisp, cool temperatures and light breezes made this weekend perfect sweater weather, providing us all with a great break from the summer heat.
I took advantage of the beautiful day by playing outside in our yard with my 16-month-old son, Sebastian. It was so funny watching him climb up the ladder on his tiny plastic jungle gym and quickly glide down the slide face first, time and time again. When he'd tumble into the grass, our Husky puppy, Laika, would run over and nuzzle her nose into his belly, causing him to break into laughter that was nothing short of contagious.
And so this is life, and these are the moments I live for. The simple pleasures of hearing my son's laughter and watching him tumble to the ground, only to rush back to his feet and take off again. That is happiness.
Sure, it would be wonderful to have an endless amount of money, to travel the world, to go on frequent shopping sprees. But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what countries you've been to, if your kitchen is decked in vinyl or marble, or how many pairs of shoes you own. At the end of the day, what matters is your family, your friends, and the joy that you bring to one another.
People often say that you need to enjoy every moment you're blessed with, because you never know when you're going to take your last breath. However, some think that enjoying your life is strictly about you, but I don't think that's the case at all.
If my time on Earth came to and end tomorrow, it wouldn't matter if I had the chance to go sky diving or visit Paris. What would matter is what I left behind.
Would my husband know how much I loved him? Would my son be filled with fond memories to last him a lifetime? Would my friends remember me as the one they could call for anything, day or night?
So as you go on living your life, remember to enjoy the little things: your child's high-pitched laughter, your grandmother's Thanksgiving pumpkin roll, your spouse's knowing just when to say something corny to make you laugh. And remember to give. Give precious moments to those around you, for that's what you will leave behind when your gone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah gotta tell you I absolutely LOVE... Family and Friends are more important than money!! Keep up the good work, you made me teary with that one! ♥

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

this was really good Sarah.......really