Monday, September 19, 2011

My Name is Sarah and I'm Addicted to Smoothies

My new obsession: making smoothies.
It all started when I noticed that my cousin had left a bag of frozen strawberries in my freezer. I thought, "What in the world am I going to do with frozen strawberries?"
It was the middle of the afternoon, so I knew I'd better not start making daiquiris. Instead, I replaced the rum with apple juice, used the frozen strawberries rather than daiquiri mix, and added some ice cubes. Not quite a smoothie, but it was a nice strawberry apple icey!
That little concoction sent me straight to the Internet to look up the basic ingredients of a strawberry smoothie. I found an easy recipe, altered it a bit, and I've made it almost every day since then; for breakfast, a mid-day snack for my son and I, or dessert for me and my husband. A few times, I chose to use frozen raspberries rather than strawberries, and I loved it just as much!
On Saturday, I had my parents over for breakfast and I made enough smoothies to fill a cup for the entire neighborhood. After a huge breakfast of blueberry and strawberry waffles, eggs and bacon, none of us had room for an over-sized smoothie. So I made smoothie pops! I simply poured the smoothie mixture into an ice tray, cut plastic straws into three pieces and stuck one in each "smoothie cube." Because the mixture is thick, the straw stayed in place on their own. I threw them in the freezer and we enjoyed a couple frozen treats tonight after dinner.
On Sunday, I had a few things to pick up at the store, and I found a smoothie recipe book for only $4. As a major clearance shopper and a new smoothie lover, I knew this was an offer I couldn't refuse!
I was flipping through the pages today and sent my husband out for a few ingredients. Unfortunately, every bunch of bananas at the grocery store was way-too-unripe green, so I didn't get to try any new recipes. But tomorrow's another day!
For now, I'd like to share this simple smoothie recipe, as it's one that can be altered to anyone's personal tastes; replace or add fruit, leave out the sugar (or add more!) or use flavored yogurt. Happy smoothie making!

Sarah's Simple Strawberry Smoothie
1/2 C milk
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 heaping handful frozen strawberries
3 T white sugar
1 t vanilla
6 ice cubes
>>Combine ingredients in blender, blend until smooth and creamy. Enjoy!

No comments: