Friday, April 28, 2017

Making a House a Home

Life is good. So so good. It has taken me a while to adjust to living in a new place, so far away from my mom and the only place I've ever known. I still miss her like crazy. I also miss fresh mozzarella cheese from Colandra's, Rita's Italian Ice, Spin Radio, Slater Taters from Little Creek Bar-B-Cue, coffee and conversation at J. DeFranco and Daughters Catering and Deli. I miss my friends. But I'm really happy with where my family is in life right now.
Hubby started working second shift recently and we thought we were going to hate it. It turns out, it's perfect for us. We enjoy spending time together in the morning and early afternoon, running errands or having breakfast at our new favorite diner. It's such a nice change from when Kevin worked third shift and we barely saw each other.
My oldest son, Sebastian, has made new friends in the neighborhood, and I've developed a relationship with their mothers.
I visit the local library once a week or more because I've made time for myself. Every day, even if it's just for 20 minutes or so, I sit down with a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, and I read a book. And letters! I keep in touch with friends and relatives via old school snail mail and I absolutely love it! In a way, I feel like I've developed better relationships with quite a few people in my life since I've moved away.
And my birthday this year was so wonderful! I received gifts and cards and flowers! It felt so good to know that my friends were thinking of me on my birthday, the first one I've spent so far away from "home."
Even better, my parents were here for my birthday! We only had a few days together, but we were able to take the kids to the zoo, have Easter dinner together, and just enjoy each other. It really was a great time.
I still have boxes to unpack and laundry to sort through. But I am more motivated to do it all, because I'm finally enjoying my new home.

No comments: