Thursday, February 23, 2017

We Have a Home!

We have a home!! As of February 27th, my family will be living in Winston-Salem, North Carolina! It has been a long and bumpy ride--and it isn't over yet!--but we are so grateful for the people who have made this possible for us.
After the first house we had lined up fell through, I filled out a rental application through a realtor, whom I called and explained our situation. My sister-in-law drove me and my husband to the realtor's office yesterday, where we learned that FIVE other people filled out applications for the same property that morning! We needed to kick it into high gear.
Our realtor, Kellie, needed to speak with our current landlord to confirm our information, and the home would be ours. The only problem was, she couldn't get in touch with either of the landlords; brothers who also own a restaurant and a landscaping company, and are usually too busy to answer their phones right away.
If any of the five applicants were approved to rent the property, it would be promised to whomever delivered the security deposit to the realtor first. The clock was ticking.
My husband, Kevin, called both brothers and was successful at getting in touch with one of them! Kellie spoke to him, but unfortunately, he was unable to confirm our information at the time, as his business manager takes care of everything. He said he'd call Kellie first thing in the morning with our information. Needless to say, I was stressing. We needed this place and we were running on empty.
At 9am today, Kellie called Kevin. She had yet to hear from our landlord. So, I went right to the source. I called the business manager, explained our predicament, and she ensured us that she would call Kellie right away. Thankfully, she did. At 10:30am, our application was approved! But, we still had to deliver the security deposit before any other applicants had the chance to do so.
I was ready to go, but Kevin "needed" to wash his grandfather's van. So I waited... and waited.
We finally arrived at the realty office two hours later to pay our deposit. It turns out, another application had just been approved, but Kellie hadn't informed them yet because she was busy with other phone calls and paperwork. The house was ours!
I firmly belive that everything happens for a reason. Things didn't work out with the first property because it wasn't meant to be. It was frustrating and disappointing, but in the end, everything worked out, and we'll be moving into a cute little home on Monday.
Check back in the coming days to continue following us on this exciting journey!

No comments: