Friday, April 30, 2010

Spring's Snow Globe



Earlier this year, the first dose of warm weather forced me to put the top down on my car and go for a drive on the back roads, as slow as I possibly could. Of course "warm" was only 50 degrees, give or take, and I still had to wear my coat, but it was absolutely gorgeous. Not to mention, this was the first time I was able to drive my car with the top down, and I was not going to miss out on that opportunity!
So my husband and I drove through the "country," turning onto streets that we (or me at least) had never driven on before. We drove under the speed limit and just enjoyed ourselves, pleased that there were rarely any other cars on the roads. When there were, we'd pull over and allow them to pass, so that we could continue our Sunday cruise at 20 miles per hour.
After driving for a while, we noticed large flocks of birds in the sky. Actually, large is an understatement. Flocks and flocks of geese just kept appearing. Every time one would pass overhead, we'd look at the horizon and see three, four, five more flocks headed our way (at which point, having the top down was making me a bit nervous!).
We came upon a house then, with a little pond in the back yard. There, was this huge flock of geese, flying together, down toward the pond, then back up toward the sky. Down and up, down and up, like a leaf tornado in the fall breeze. Instead of golds and reds and yellows like that of autumn leaves, here was this awesome, white and gray tornado of geese, hovering above the dark water, just as the sun was setting.
We sat along the side of the road for at least a half an hour, just staring at the flock, waiting for it to join the others that were passing overhead. But it never did. They just kept up their same routine; down and up, down and up. On one side of the geese storm, all white. On the other, dark gray. It was beautiful.
As we drove away, we kept looking back, only to see the same thing. It was as if they were stuck in a snow globe that didn't need to be shaken. They just kept flying, to nowhere.
Perhaps they were celebrating the coming of spring just as we were; flying in circles in order to take in the last few moments of winter; staying right there to enjoy the setting sun, which marked the beginning of spring.

No comments: