Wednesday, May 17, 2017

I Love Writing. And BBQ.

**Sorry for any typos in advance. Phone is too dead to proofread!

While walking through the electronics department at a local store today, I passed a few keyboards and immediately a thought hit me. Pow! Hook your keyboard into your phone so it's easier to blog! Boom! Needless to say, that's what I'm doing right now and I am wayyy more excited than I probably should be. But hell, I really do enjoy writing and anything that's going to help me do that more often is worth getting excited about!
So, in keeping with the theme of how I love writing (please excuse any typos, as my one- and two-year-old also seem to be enjoying the keyboard), I must say that I am in love with having pen pals! I exchange letters with my friends Kim and Julia, my brother, my nana, and I recently ordered a bunch of postcards so I can keep in touch with my niece and little cousins back home. I hope they enjoy sending and receiving letters and postcards as much as I do!
The only thing that drives me nuts with this letter-writing business is Kim's refusal to tell me anything over the phone. She'll shoot me a text or call me up and say, "You're not gonne believe this! So-and-So just robbed a bank and shot someone, but I can't tell you who, when, why or how because I'm saving it for my next letter." Whaaaaat?! It's like watching your favorite show on cable and being left with a cliffhanger, knowing that you have to wait an entire week to find out who got shot during the robbery. But that's what makes it great all at the same time. See, Kim, I still love you even when you drive me mad with suspense! Suspense is one of the things that keeps me checking the mailbox severeal times a day. That and LuLaRoe orders!
Writing letters (my font is showing up smaller... I hope it doesn't publish like that) isn't even as enjoyable for me as reading those I receive. I get to paint this picture of what's going in in the life of the writer. And I am forced to listen. Really, truly listen. Sometimes I have a habit of interjecting my own thoughts and opinions too much, that I don't ever get to enjoy the whole story. But when I read a letter, that all changes. I don't get a chance to "speak" until it's my turn. No interuppting, no changing the subject. I shutup, I listen, and I enjoy. Hmmm... Perhaps my husband could learn a thing or two if he and I started exchanging letters!
I also feel that I have become much closer with both Kim and Julia since we started writing to each other. Kim and I have been close for quite some time, but writing has given us the opportunity to be a little sappy, if you will. "Thank you so much for being such a great friend." "I'm so glad God brought you into my life." "I am proud of you." Of course Kim and I have shared words of appreciation before we began writing, but it wasn't as often. Now, almost every letter ends, and sometimes begins, with gratitude for the other. You know the old cliche, "absence makes the heart grow fonder."
As for Julia, I feel that she opens up to me more in her letters than she had in person, which may have something to do with me being her manager in the past, which was really the only time we talked in person! But still, when someone goes out of their way to keep in touch with you, and then they begin opening up to you, it makes you feel... warm and fuzzy, for lack of a better explanation! ;)
Well, as "warm and fuzzy" as letters make me feel, I am beyound excited to see Kim IN THE FLESH this Saturday!! Not only will I get to see her for the first time since February, but this will also be her first competiton that I will be attending! And I'm not going to lie, I am also hoping she takes pity on my taste buds and brings me some of her delicious Carolina sauce and pork barbecue. No! It does NOT matter that I live in North Carolina. I want barbecue from Little Creek Bar-B-Cue. Yes, it is "real" barbecue. And it is delicious. If you haven't been there, you're missing out. www.littlecreekbarbcueco.com. You won't be sorry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aww! as for me opening up more in my letters....honestly, my life is just much more exciting now than it was a year ago, so there's more to tell! 😂 can you believe it's been a year since we met??

❤️ Julia